Thursday 16 September 2010

Acharacle and Blue Sea -on purple.



I didn't think to be painting these views again but when I found a forgotten board which had a purplish ground I wondered how the blues would work on it. It was a bit of an experiment but I'm happy with the way its come together - the ground colour has added a new dimension coming through here and there. I don't usually work on a base colour but its made me want to experiment some more.  I was asked to exhibit two paintings in The Save The Children Charity exhibition and have decided  to submit this as one of my works.

Oil on board 20 x 24"
Bridget Hunter 2010

9 comments:

  1. Nice to try something new...purple ground! I have used an alizran crimson as a ground and that was lovely. Good luck with your show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou. Red under a green landscape worked once too. It would be interesting to hear of other combinations that workded wouldn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridget, thanks for visiting my blog. I am so pleased to have the opportunity of now knowing your work. Those landscapes are wonderful - strong, confident, sparse yet rich. They remind me a bit of the American painter, Steven Goodman (link on my blog). I was in Kircudbright some years ago. We were staying in Galloway on holiday so its really nice to see these images.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou - blogging is so informative - I've now got to know another painter's work - Steven Goodman - and learning even more about composition etc. Its also lovely to be in touch with someone who knows my part of the world. - you!!!
    Thankyou for lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Have found purple a good ground to go over with blue. It gives a painting a warm touch and intensivies the distance. really nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. strid.You've used purple too - have you posted any paintings with that colour ground? I'd love to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your paintings are lovely, and the purple ground is very successful. I'm so glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...