Friday 27 August 2010

Our Backyard



Oil on board 10 x 10"
Bridget Hunter 2005

Talking about paintings and emotions again!  This small work is in the present exhibition but isn't for sale. The memories of time and place are too precious,  having been done at my old home at a time of great loss.  Being in our garden on that particular day and recording it in paint was a way of getting through,  though strangely, I don't think this is reflected in the work. I loved the view up towards the back of the house and the slightly chaotic nature of the garden planting. I remember working quickly to get the image down as fast as possible before the clouds changed the tones of the shadows.
I recently saw a painting by Maggie Hambling of her mother on her deathbed and found the image has stayed with me - I find it a painting of great beauty in the way the artist has handled her subject, a tribute almost from daughter to mother. Maybe others would read it differently.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely Bridget! Yes, you're right, normal parting with a painting isn't easy and when it has some emotions and memories attached...it becomes impossible!
    Ronelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful brushstrokes, so much energy flows from this work, Bridget! A bit of chaos in the garden is good, too -- mine is a bit of a jungle at the moment but I love it. You've inspired me -- maybe I'll give it a go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridget, thanks so much for visiting my blog and your very kind comments. Enjoying seeing your blog an looking forward to spending some time on your sketchbook blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...