Tuesday 12 February 2013

Ayrshire Open Studios


My small hallway so far


I'm taking part in a new venture called OPEN STUDIOS AYRSHIRE on 22, 23 and 24 March.
This is our first go although Open Studios is now a very successful part of the UK art scene.

 For this first time we've 36 artist working in pottery, prints and painting and a brochure with a map is being popped into libraries, shops and anywhere else willing to take a bundle. This photo shows my small hallway so far, although I think I'd best get the black frame changed to a cream one. Also I need to get greeting cards, postcards and business cards printed so searching for reliable printing companies.

The idea is that visitors come to your studio and browse and maybe buy some art, though I have to say I have a very small house. and the trouble is we've no idea how well the event will be attended.

I thought if I served coffees, teas and maybe had some wine at the ready, as well as my friends wonderful home made scones, it might encourage a bit of rash spending!
And if very few come, well, my scone maker and I can always drink the wine ourselves.

8 comments:

  1. It's such a lot of work having open studios but everyone loves to visit an artist in their studio/house. Your wall looks great so far. I agree about changing the black frame to a cream one. I wish I could see you paintings over tea and scones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol - it's really quite exciting and certainly got me out of a painting low time. I'm now wondering if the times you've blogged showing your home it's been the same type of thing. It must be i guess.

      Delete
  2. Open Studio is a great way to meet and sell. I think your idea of refreshments goes a long way to chatting and becoming known to folks.
    I highly recommend MOO.com for business cards because you can use the whole card with a photo of work. They have been very reliable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for the "MOO" recommendation. So you must take part in this type of venture over the ocean as well. I'd love to visit all these far away places to see art :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridget, I am not part of the Open Studios here at the beach. I've been in Open Studios in other places and found small works at rather low prices to be very popular...a way for a person to become a collector. Best of luck!

      Delete
    2. Thankyou for that helpful suggestion and the good luck message too.

      Delete
  4. I did this at my sister's place in Bristol. It was great. People can be a bit shy but if you can engage in conversation it's really interesting to see the reactions to your work and people love to hear about you, the artist. I found people loved sketchbooks to see the progress of how you work. I would try and put as much work together as you possibly can and even work out prices for selling more than one painting. You never know. Are there many artists involved?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really valuable information Jane so thankyou for writing. Sketchbooks is a great idea and someone suggested a visitors' book with a column for adding email addresses. There are 36 artists involved this year and none of us know what to expect so we have meetings in an obliging coffee place to share ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...