Monday 5 December 2011

Sketching in a train


View from a Train
Gouache on paper  2011

I travelled by train to London in September and spent some of the journey trying to sketch landscapes seen through the window. It was a bit frantic I suppose - trying to remember what I'd just seen and getting it down as quickly as possible in either pencil or watercolour. Luckily I was beside an empty seat!
I've now been working with the sketches as a resource, using gouache on paper, to see if one of them might work as an oil painting.






6 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed! I'm sure you can create a wonderful painting from your quick sketches. Again, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested to see these as I take the same fast train route North from London several times each year to see my family and write and sketch while looking out. Sometimes, the train goes so fast- the trip time gets faster each year - that all I see is a blur, but there are images that have stayed with me over the years and favourite turns in the view that I like to see each time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie - yes " a blur" sums it up nicely. But as you say - some images just seem to last in the memory. I particularly like going through the Pennines with all its ruggedness. Have you posted any of your train sketches as I'd love to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou for the wows Carol .lol.Have you ever seen views while driving but when you stop the car the view's not the same from the side of the road?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great sketches. You really captured "the essence."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! I know just what you mean! Have you ever seen views of the ocean from a plane and thought to yourself "I need to paint that" and then back at the studio it's gone? I wish I could sketch fast, it's a skill I should work on instead of whining about . :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...